The charming streets of Bad Hofgastein are lined with inviting pavement cafés and atmospheric restaurants. Here you’ll typically find the traditional cuisines of the region – a mixture of Tyrolean, Italian and Austrian – though some places incorporate some American touches to their menus. A lot of eateries are located near the Alpen Therme or in the town centre, though you’ll also find some quaint huts up the mountains.
Inside a hilltop castle built in 1530 is Schlossl Weitmoser, a fine-dining restaurant with great views of the mountains. Sample their homemade sweet, Indianer – it’s meant to be amazing.
For the veggies, or those looking for something light and refreshing, Kraut & Ruben is a great option for inventive meat-free dishes. All the food is beautifully presented and the restaurant itself is spacious and modern.
Close to the thermal spa is Gastein Alm, a rustic yet modern restaurant offering regional and Italian dishes and top-class hospitality. Their cherry strudel is highly recommended.
The centre of this old market town is made up of cobbled streets that lead out to mountain trails and paths. You can wander the picturesque pedestrian zone, browsing luxury boutiques, restaurants and cafés, or stop for a spot of people-watching in the main square.
The nearest station is 3km outside town, around a 45-minute walk but there’s a local bus that will get you there in 11. From there you can catch a train to the castle in Werfen (1 hour), stunning Zell am See (1 hour 15 minutes) or Lake Wörthersee (1 hour 30 minutes), or historic Salzburg (1 hour 30 minutes).
The main stop is outside the Hotel Österreichischerhof and there’s a regular service between the local villages in the valley including Bad Gastein (11 minutes) and Dorfgastein (5 minutes). Buses are discounted with your guest card and run every day, though times vary at weekends.
Your guest card also gives you a discount on summer lifts. There are 5 lifts in the valley that run through the season and you can either buy a one-day or 6-day pass, depending how often you wish to use them.
Make the most of your holiday with discounts and freebies on events, activities and travel in and around Bad Hofgastein.
· Free guided hikes with tourist office (2 x weekly half day hikes)
· 1 x weekly full day hike
· Free use of Bad Hofgastein village bus
· Discounts on regional buses
· Discounts on summer lifts
· Discounts on many outdoor sports and wellness facilities
Available free to all customers staying in Bad Hofgastein.
We're here to give you our support and expertise before, during and after your holiday – it’s what we do. This service includes:
- 24/7 support and assistance via phone and email – we will text you the in country team's contact number before you leave, so they’re only ever a call or text away.
- Online info pack with lots of useful resort information and tips – you can also contact our overseas experts at any time to ask questions about your holiday; even before you leave.
- Thomson Lakes & Mountains app with travel documents, resort maps, weather forecasts and a currency converter.
There won’t be a rep based in resort, but we'll meet you at the airport, help you get to your transfer and confirm any pre-booked excursions. If you need anything during your holiday, just get in touch via phone or email.