Kaprun, like Zell am See, has everything from traditional pubs to modern Austrian coffee houses, all with top-class hospitality - especially in the rustic inns in the mountains. Restaurants, bars and cafés are dotted around Kaprun, with lots by the river so you can relax and listen to the water passing by, as well as a good few in the centre of town, too.
Up the mountain is Alpengasthaus Glocknerblick, a homely hut with extremely friendly owners and staff. There are amazing views of the mountains and the valley from here and the strudel is highly recommended.
Located in the centre of town is Kitsch & Bitter, a moose-themed restaurant and bar which holds numerous themed nights with live music, BBQs and karaoke. Look out for the elk as you walk down the stairs to the toilets.
A short walk away is Hilberger’s Beisl – you’ll see its bright green sign that ribbons the building. Inside the decor is warming and traditional and they serve appetising Italian and Austrian dishes.
The town is ideal for exploring on foot, so you can take your time and admire the beautiful medieval architecture. Outside town, you can explore trails all over the Hohe Tauern National Park.
From neighbouring Zell am See, you can take leisurely boat rides out over the lake. A back-and-forth crossing service runs to Thummersbach, or there’s a round trip service which stops at 6 locations on the way.
The nearest station is in Zell am See, where you can hop on a train to Kitzbühel (55 minutes), Salzburg (1 hour 40 minutes) or Bad Gastein (1 hour 30 minutes). If it’s beautiful views you want, the Pingzau Bahn train to Mittersil is a very scenic journey.
The local service is excellent and runs regularly to Zell am See and the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier.
Nearby lifts run throughout the summer to whisk you up to Maiskogel and the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier.
Entrances and tolls
| ||Children ||Adults |
|Hochkönig - half day ||€14 ||€26 |
|Salzburg ||€18 ||€34 |
|Grossglockner ||€23 ||€35 |
|Krimml Waterfall - half day ||€14 ||€26 |
|Berchtesgaden ||€17 ||€32 |
: Some entrances, tolls and optional extras are payable locally. Kids and Infant prices:
Reduced prices are available for children up to 12 years inclusive. Infants who do not require a seat go free. Limited mobility and wheelchair users
: Krimml Waterfalls includes quite a few steps and steep sections that may not be suitable if you have limited mobility or are a wheelchair user
Zell am See-Kaprun Summer Card
This all-inclusive card lets you relax and enjoy the sights and attractions of this beautiful area of Austria. The local bus links Zell am See and Kaprun for only €1 per journey so you can take advantage of the great offers in both resorts.
· Unlimited use of the Schmittenhöhe cable car
· Lake boat trip on Lake Zell (once weekly)
· Unlimited lake crossings
· Unlimited entry to lakeside bathing beaches
· Unlimited entry to Zell am See indoor pool
· Unlimited use of the Kaprun Gletscher gondola (to Alpincentre)
· Trip on the Gipfelwelt 3000 (once weekly)
· Unlimited entry to Kaprun Alpine Reservoirs
· Unlimited entry to the Vogtturm Town Museum
· Unlimited entry to the Siegmund Thun, Vorderkaser and Seisenberg gorges
· Unlimited entry to the Mittersill National Park centre
Available free to customers staying at the Hotel Antonius, Hotel Toni, Hotel Taurenhof, Hotel Mitteregger and Hotel Sport Kristall.
We're here to give you our support and expertise before, during and after your holiday – it's what we do. This service includes:
- 24/7 support and assistance via phone and email – we will text you the rep's contact number before you leave, so they're only ever a call or text away.
- Online info pack with lots of useful resort information and tips – you can also contact our reps at any time to ask questions about your holiday; even before you leave.
- Thomson Lakes & Mountains app with travel documents, resort maps, weather forecasts and a currency converter.
Our reps will meet you at the airport, help you get to your transfer and confirm any pre-booked excursions. They'll also be available in resort to invite you on an informative welcome meeting or walkabout. If you need anything during your holiday, just check your info pack or the app to find them in resort for a chat.