There are great restaurants and cafés on every corner in Mayrhofen. Just make sure to try some Zillertaler krapfen (savoury crêpes), and make it your mission to find the best apple strudel in the region.
As well as being a traditional butcher's, Gasser, on Hauptstrasse, is the ideal place for a takeaway lunch. The owner, Hans, prepares a variety of delicious dishes from schnitzel bread to ribs - a meat eater's heaven.
A short walk down the road is the popular Café Tyrol, a Tyrolean steakhouse serving steaks and the local speciality, tiroler gröstl. The outdoor terrace and salad bar keep customers coming back again and again.
Over at the Zillergründl Dam, Adlerblick’s outdoor terrace overlooks the reservoir and dam, so it's a must for any budding photographers. To enter, you have to walk up a metal stairway, but there's also an alternative roadway entrance. Alongside the portion sizes and atmosphere, Adlerblick is also known for its amazing heisse liebe dessert.
This small, attractive town has lots of shops and eateries, and can be explored on foot in no time.
Mayrhofen station is situated next to the Hotel Neuhaus and operates regular train and steam train services to Jenbach. They both stop at several towns in the Ziller Valley along the way. The steam train runs once a day at midday, and takes an hour and a half to reach Jenbach.
The main bus station is located next to the train station. The extensive and regular bus service links Mayrhofen to the surrounding valleys, so once you've hopped on a bus it won't be long until you're in the Tux valley, Finkenberg, or at the Zillergrund Reservoir.
Both the Ahorn and the Penkenbahn cable cars are open throughout the summer, giving you access to the best views of the Ziller Valley. Both will be open from May until mid October, with the Ahorn operating between 8.30am and 5pm, and the Penkenbahn operating between 9am and 5pm.
Entrances and tolls
| ||Children ||Adults |
|Hintertux Glacier ||€7 ||€13 |
|Salzburg ||€18 ||€35 |
|Neuschwanstein ||€20 ||€35 |
|Achensee/Rattenberg ||€12 ||€24 |
|Krimml Waterfalls - Half day ||€13 ||€25 |
|Innsbruck ||€13 ||€25 |
: Some entrances, tolls and optional extras are payable locally. Kids and Infant prices
: Reduced prices are available for children up to 12 years inclusive. Infants who do not require a seat go free. Limited mobility and wheelchair users
: Krimml Waterfalls and Neuschwanstein include quite a few steps and steep sections that may not be suitable if you have limited mobility or are a wheelchair user.
Hippach Guest Card
This handy little guest card gives you great discounts in shops and on entry to a variety of attraction sin Mayrhofen.
· 10% discount in the Salewa Mountainshop Hörhager
· Discounted entry to the Erlebnisbad Mayrhofen swimming pool
· Discounted entry to the GlacierWorlds exhibition at the Zillertal Alps Nature Park
· Discounted drinks at the Hotel Alpenblick twice a week between 4.30-6pm
Available free to all customers staying in Mayrhofen.
Zillertal Active Card
The Zillertal Active card is a great all-round pass for exploring Mayrhofen and its surroundings. It gives you free and discounted prices on everything from travel to activities.
· One daily round trip on one of 11 cable cars of your choice
· Entry to all six outdoor swimming pools (one visit per day)
· Use of most public transport in the region
· Entry to the observatory and planetarium in Königsleiten
· Discounts at over 65 other attractions in and around Zillertal
Available to buy in resort. Adult €63.50 for a 6-day pass.
We're here to give you our support and expertise before, during and after your holiday – it's what we do. This service includes:
- 24/7 support and assistance via phone and email – we will text you the rep's contact number before you leave, so they're only ever a call or text away.
- Online info pack with lots of useful resort information and tips – you can also contact our reps at any time to ask questions about your holiday; even before you leave.
- Thomson Lakes & Mountains app with travel documents, resort maps, weather forecasts and a currency converter.
Our reps will meet you at the airport, help you get to your transfer and confirm any pre-booked excursions. They'll also be available in resort to invite you on an informative welcome meeting or walkabout. If you need anything during your holiday, just check your info pack or the app to find them in resort for a chat.