Saalbach, similar to other Austrian resorts, has a wealth of Alms (or huts) on the mountains. During the summer these offer a fantastic range of authentic Austrian dishes for you to feast on. If that doesn’t take your fancy, back down in resort you’ll also find lots of hotel and à la carte restaurants dotted around town that serve up a variety of Austrian and international cuisines from Italian to American to Mexican.
A 30-minute walk from the Reiterkogel midstation is Sonnalm, a mountain hut famous for their unique bread-baking process.
A gentle walk down from the Kohlmaisbahn top station is the Parnorama Alm. It has a large sun terrace that looks over the whole valley, a bio-bathing pool and a children’s play area, on top of delicious Austrian dishes like spare ribs.
On the Schulstrasse is the homely Schattbergstube, where you’re served generous portions of everything from steak and ribs to pizza on wooden boards. The beers and prices are good too.
Originally a small farming village, Saalbach has retained many of its traditional features and charm – and the best way to see this is on foot. Stroll around town, breathing in the fresh mountain air, before venturing out to explore the surrounding pastures and mountains.
There’s a tourist train, the Talschlusszug, which runs to Hinterglemm and is free with a Joker Card. The closest proper train station is in Zell am See (30 minutes by bus), from which you can catch a train to Salzburg (1 hour 30 minutes), Innsbruck (2 hours 15 minutes) and Krimml (1 hour 20 minutes).
Use of the local walkers’ buses is free with a Joker Card so you can easily get to Hinterglemm and Lengau. There’s also a normal bus to Zell am See.
Also free with a Joker Card is unlimited use of the summer lifts in the area. In Saalbach, there are the Schattberg X-Press and Kohlmais cable cars, and in Hinterglemm there are the Reiterkogel and Zwolferkogel cable cars. The Reiterkogel is the only lift open from 20th May, with the second lift opening on 3rd June, and the remaining two at the end of June, until the end of September or October.
Entrances and tolls
| ||Children ||Adults |
|Hochkonig - half day ||€14 ||€26 |
|Salzburg ||€18 ||€34 |
|Grossglockner ||€23 ||€35 |
|Krimml Waterfall - half day ||€14 ||€26 |
|Berchtesgaden ||€17 ||€32 |
: Some entrances, tolls and optional extras are payable locally. Kids and Infant prices
: Reduced prices are available for children up to 12 years inclusive. Infants who do not require a seat go free. Limited mobility and wheelchair users
: Krimml Waterfalls includes quite a few steps and steep sections that may not be suitable if you have limited mobility or are a wheelchair user.
Saalbach-Hinterglemm Joker Card
All customers staying at selected hotels will get a free summer card.
· Unlimited use of all operating cable cars in Saalbach and Hinterglemm
· Use of the local walker's bus service
· Entrance to the Homestead and Ski Museum in Saalbach
· Daily use of Asitz gondola in Leogang (once a day)
· Entrance to the Kapt'n Hook outdoor adventure pool and crazy golf
· Guided walks (7 per week)
· Use of tennis courts in Saalbach and Hinterglemm
· 'Talschlusszug' tourist train to Hinterglemm
· Discounted prices on Fly n Soul paragliding, Fit and Fun in the Mountain and House of Nature
· Discounts in local shops
Discount card offers are subject to change based on local tourist board recommendations.
Available free to all customers staying at the Hotel Bauer, Neuhaus, Hotel Eva Village, Hotel Kristiana and Hotel Saalbacher Hof.
We're here to give you our support and expertise before, during and after your holiday – it's what we do. This service includes:
- 24/7 support and assistance via phone and email – we will text you the rep's contact number before you leave, so they're only ever a call or text away.
- Online info pack with lots of useful resort information and tips – you can also contact our reps at any time to ask questions about your holiday; even before you leave.
- Thomson Lakes & Mountains app with travel documents, resort maps, weather forecasts and a currency converter.
Our reps will meet you at the airport, help you get to your transfer and confirm any pre-booked excursions. They'll also be available in resort to invite you on an informative welcome meeting or walkabout. If you need anything during your holiday, just check your info pack or the app to find them in resort for a chat.