With all the walking you’ll be doing, you’ll need some hearty meals to keep your energy up. Schladming has around 40 restaurants – an excellent number for a pretty small town. There are plenty of traditional places where you can sample the local specialities, but you can also find high-end eateries for a more sophisticated experience.
For 400 years, the Talbachschenke restaurant has been feeding visitors from all walks of life. The rustic interior makes it the perfect choice for a romantic meal. Cosy up as you cook your own meat on a hot stone, accompanied by homemade sauces, baked potatoes and fresh bread.
Or if you’d like a more modern meal, visit Die Tischlerei. Stylish surroundings compliment the menu, which takes simple produce and turns it into a culinary work of art.
Right in the centre of town, the Stadthotel Brunner houses a popular restaurant. The contemporary décor matches the interesting menu, which combines hearty traditional fare with international favourites and even unique Ayurvedic dishes.
Schladming is small place, so nothing in town is too far to walk to. It’s mostly flat and the centre is pedestrianised, so it’s very easy to get around on foot. Only getting to the Hotel Ferienalm requires a slight uphill walk, as it’s elevated above the town.
The train station is around a 10-minute walk outside of town. From there, you can catch direct trains to Werfen (50 minutes) to visit the castle overlooking the town, or Salzburg (1 hour 35 minutes), to immerse yourself in history and culture.
There are three main bus stations around town, so you won’t have to go far. Local hiking buses are free with a Schladming Summer Card, and are excellent for reaching the many summer lifts in the area.
Loads of lifts in the area are free to use with your summer card, and most of them are open daily from late May to October. Try the Planai gondola, Hochwurzen gondola, Preunegg Jet, Schladminger Tauern cable car, Dachstein Glacier lift and Rittisberg chairlift.
Schladming-Dachstein Summer Card
This fabulous all-inclusive card gives you even better value for money on your holiday in Schladming. Along with your included excursions you can take advantage of many free and discounted amenities in the area.
· Free use of all lifts in Schladming
· Free round trip on the Dachstein Gletscherbahn (1 per week)
· Free use of local buses
· Free use of Schladming indoor and outdoor adventure pool and pools in surrounding area
· Free paragliding sampler course in nearby Ramsau (min. age 15 years)
· Free entrance to the Wild Waters Adventure Alpine Trail
· Free introduction to rock climbing incl. safety equipment
· Free family adventure hike to the romantic Duisitzkarsee lake
· Free Wild Wild West day (weekly from late Jun to end Aug)
Free for all customers staying at the Hotel Ferienalm and the Hotel Stadttor.
Please note: See www.schladming-dachstein.at/en/summercard/
for full details, terms and conditions incl. pre-registration requirements, age restrictions and any additional charges. Details subject to change.
We're here to give you our support and expertise before, during and after your holiday – it’s what we do. This service includes:
- 24/7 support and assistance via phone and email – we will text you the in country team's contact number before you leave, so they’re only ever a call or text away.
- Online info pack with lots of useful resort information and tips – you can also contact our overseas experts at any time to ask questions about your holiday; even before you leave.
- Thomson Lakes & Mountains app with travel documents, resort maps, weather forecasts and a currency converter.
There won’t be a rep based in resort, but we'll meet you at the airport, help you get to your transfer and confirm any pre-booked excursions. If you need anything during your holiday, just get in touch via phone or email.